RPM Challenge Update

The first week of February was just too busy, and I realized a quarter of the month had gone. That, plus the fact that the finished CD has to arrive by the end of the month, made me worry that I was going to run out of time.

The challenge is to create 10 songs or 35 minutes of material. I’m going to go with the latter.

I was working with an idea of using various public domain texts as sequencer sources. As a theme, I considered 18th and 19th century works on witchcraft and demonology. The Historie Of Witchcraft And Demonology by Montague Summers was what I had in mind, but it may still be under copyright (it’s newer than I thought) and is not available at Project Gutenberg. But there was a book I have never heard of called The Superstitions Of Witchcraft (1865) by Howard Williams.

I have a series of Perl scripts I wrote for the ten-tone scale experiments.

Another sequencer set I created for use with these scripts is a set of square wave parts to create a digital sequence similar to SMPTE timecode. I can convert any file into a digital audio sequence which could be decoded back to the original file, provided the encoding rules were understood. Unfortunately, these timecode files sound like continuous noise, and it has been difficult to make them interesting. Modulated EQ filtering seems to help. And I have been playing around with a speech synthesizer, so I should have enough elements to fill out the piece.

Whether it is interesting for 35+ minutes is a different story.

Post a Comment

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*